Thin Spaces at Camp Magruder

As I've been wandering through camp this week I have been awed by what I have seen, felt, and heard around me. Spring is coming, birds are singing, new life is starting to emerge, and I can't help but marvel at God's creation. I am constantly delighted in not only the physical beauty of camp, but also the joy in the relationships that have been forged as a result of camping ministries. I met Pastor Courtney McHill (currently serving the McMinnville Cooperative Ministries Church) when we were both youth at camp and we've continued to cross paths in ministry and friendship throughout the years. I've been following her Lenten Blog and knew that I had to quote her for today's post. She summed up what I have felt so many times and hope you have as well in camps, home, school, work, and life this week. Visit http://pastorcourt.wordpress.com/ for more of her inspiring blog posts.

"How do you mark when God shows up? You have been there before. Something just happened that seems to only be of God or you had an encounter when you knew that God was present. The Celts call this space thin space or thin places. The air around you is so thin between God and us that you can physically feel a difference in the space. Thin places transform us by just being in them and something can change to a thin place within a matter of seconds. A contemporary poet Sharlande Sledge gives this description.
“Thin places,” the Celts call this space,
Both seen and unseen,
Where the door between the world
And the next is cracked open for a moment
And the light is not all on the other side.
God shaped space. Holy.
Thin places create in us a God shaped space because we have experienced what it means to be in God’s presence in an ordinary setting but in an extraordinary way.
I was listening to the podcast “On Being” yesterday where Krista Tippett is interviewing Fr. Greg Boyle. This is an amazing and spiritual man who works for Homeboy Industries in California. If you can, listen to the podcast. I was completely engaged but he says that God does not worry about us making things sacred, God worries that we will forget about God in the ordinary."

Take a look at some of the ordinary space where God continues to show up at Camp Magruder.




















Comments

Popular Posts