The News from Magruder, March 18-24

Crazy weather fluctuations that are quintessential Spring have provided the scenery for the week. We have seen clear sunny skies one moment that gave way to overcast and drizzle then on to cold, wind, and hail. For the most part, I timed my trips around camp well and avoided being drenched or chilled to the core. It is interesting to see little piles of hail along the path while a perfectly blue sky provides the backdrop. It is a reminder how quickly we can shift from one thing to another. 

This week we hosted an outdoor school group from Stoller Middle School. I enjoy walking around camp when campers first arrive. There is so much energy. Leaders are playing tour guide. Kids are not quite comfortable yet. You can see on their faces they are still feeling the place out. I talked to outdoor school leader, "Joker," about this as the kids passed all around. We know from experience some of these kids will be all-star campers, some will be mischievous, some might even be sent home before the day is over. But, for now they seem much more the same as they cautiously figure out this new world. 

During our conversation an adult leader who had just arrived approached Joker to ask about room assignments, and he quickly turned and gave the appropriate "this is beyond my pay grade," response of let me take you to the Outdoor School Director. I walked in their direction and talked to a group of girls who seemed excited to be here. One said she had been to outdoor school before, and it felt like it was still a dream for her to be here now. I told her I hoped she didn't wake up too soon. 

Work on the Bunch Lodge is nearing completion, and we are excited about how it will look when its done. It is amazing what some roof work, a porch roof replacement, and the aesthetic touch-ups those changes incorporate can do for the overall look of a place. Bunch Lodge has a lot of character. It looks like a log cabin on the outside. The inside feels very homey and cozy. But, it certainly has needed an exterior make-over. I expected this roof work to be hardly noticeable--this project was more for maintenance than curb appeal. I was blown away by how much nicer the building looks because of it, though. I would next love to paint Bunch, so it matches with the color scheme of the other lodges. I'd like to put some rocking chairs out front so people can enjoy sitting under the new overhang. Its funny how a little improvement inspires more improvement. 

Campers left this morning just after a pizza lunch. Much of Oregon had seen snow. I guided a frantic set of parents to the outdoor school office who needed to pick up their child as quickly as possible, because the roads had delayed them enough to possibly miss a flight. I was grateful not to be in their shoes, needing to rush through the indecisive weather. I got where they'd find their child, and I returned to my relaxed pace, wondering what the weather would bring next. It is a bit of a dream that
I get to be here, that so many get to visit this place and be made better by it, that there is such a history of builders and maintainers who kept this place around for generations to come. I'll hope not to wake up from the dream for a little while yet. 

If you want to be part of the dream, if you'd like to visit, volunteer, or support the work we're doing through funds, contact troy@campmagruder.org and we can talk about ways to keep making Magruder's dreams come true.

This weekend we welcome Student Reach Portland, Southminster Presbyterian, Portland First Unitarian Family, Boy Scout Troop 799, and Julie Fleming. We pray that they will leave this place a little better than they came. 

Comments

Popular Posts